We are in search of a video or multidisciplinary artist who can manage all aspects of projected visuals in a live music performance. Due to Covid-19, our video artist withdrew and we are urgently searching for a replacement. Someone with a technical theatre background is ideal.
Sounding Eye is an interdisciplinary artists’ collective founded by Gloria Yehilevsky & Shiyi Li in 2019. Our first project, ‘Minister of Loneliness’ was performed across three continents and received high critical praise. ‘Dreamerfly, and other stories,’ is the collective’s second venture, already having received attention internationally (the Guardian, Beijing Times Art Museum, UK Jazz venues & South African institutions), commissioned by The Herbert Art Gallery & Museum and successfully funded by Kickstarter (meeting 166% of funding goal) and a Mid-Atlantic Arts USArtists International Grant.
Video of (partial) performance you will be facilitating: https://youtu.be/72bhFgnjgbc
Due to grant funding, we are only able to hire US citizens or permanent residents at this time. We encourage US citizens living abroad, especially in the UK, to apply. If traveling from the US, you must be fully vaccinated prior to Sept. 1 with an FDA approved vaccine, and able to provide proof of vaccine. Covid testing is required: (1) prior to leaving US, (2) upon arrival in UK, (3) prior to leaving UK.
Learn more about the collective: www.soundingeye.com
Key personnel on ‘Dreamerfly’: Daniel Kemshell, Gloria Yehilevsky, James Owston, Lindsey Eastham, Shiyi Li
– Fly to UK (if living in US): Leaving Sept. 18/19, returning Sept. 25, with some flexibility
– Rehearsals: Sept. 20 & 21, 10:30am-4:30pm GMT @ Southern Percussion, Rayleigh, UK (suburb of London)
– Dress Rehearsal: Sept. 23 & 24, times TBD @ the MAC, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
– Performance: Flatpack Festival Sept. 24, 8PM GMT @ the MAC, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
We need a highly autonomous video artist, VJ, or theatre technician/stage manager confident in taking the lead in the following:
– Projection mapping (schematic attached)
– Cue visuals for live performance in Touchdesigner or Resolume: the visuals are prepared and will be provided, ability to improvise with or otherwise manipulate visuals in real time is a plus, but not necessary
– Oversee installation of screens (schematic & assistance will be provided)
– Most tech is provided (projector, screens, audio cables, mixer, etc.), but we expect you to bring your computer with appropriate visual software, and owning a projector is a plus (for rehearsals)
– Willing to play click track for musicians through Ableton Live in tandem with visuals: we can offer basic training on this platform if needed, we will provide the laptop with software and necessary hardware, understanding of music/ability to keep a beat is desired
It is helpful if you have:
– Stage management/theater experience
– Ability to cue lighting changes
What we offer:
– Roundtrip flight anywhere in US to UK
– Per diem of 60 USD for 4 days
– Travel within the UK (trains, buses, etc.), up to 150 USD
– Airbnb Sept. 23-25 in Birmingham
– We will help you find a place to stay in London upon arrival through Sept. 23, most likely at no cost but with possibility of Airbnb/hotel
– Artist fee of $900
– Cost of covid testing may not be covered, but we are working on allocating funds for this
- Are you available for 100% of the dates listed?
- Do you have experience with AND software for projection mapping?
- Do you have experience cueing visuals in live performance? (Touchdesigner, Resolume, or similar)
- Do you have technical/theater experience installing screens?
- Have you used, or are you willing and able to quickly learn basic usage of Ableton Live? Or, do you have experience with another/similar DAW? This will be used to cue click tracks for musicians.
If your answer is yes to all (5) screening questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with expression of interest, including relevant website/social media links. Please either attach a brief CV, include link to a web page outlining relevant experience, or describe experience in body of email. Cover letter not required.